February 11, 2017
N3XTCODER Blockchain Workshop
How to use Blockchain Technology for Social Innovation
Join us on February 11 for a hands on workshop to get started with the technology of the future
February 11, 2017
9.30am to 4.30pm
BMW Stiftung Herbert Quandt
Reduced 59 €
Food and drinks are included
Join us on February 11th – explore blockchain technologies while solving real-world problems.
You will be able to set up your own digital wallet and to acquire Bitcoins and Ether. Get started with the technology of the future and learn how to use it to impact communities.
Throughout the day, together with Neufund, we work on the project BLINC. BLINC aims to disrupt funding and impact communities by helping organisations to use blockchain to change people’s lives. In the Gaza strip, where Paypal fails to operate, blockchain is an innovative alternative, but also an independent financing system.
We will explore a practical use case for blockchain by showing how to support the Gazan startup community. During the workshop, we use BLINC as an example to understand the concept of blockchain technology and how it could be used to provide innovative technology solutions for the social sector.
A blockchain is a database with built-in validation. It is distributed on multiple computers at the same time so that anybody can maintain a copy of it. Anyone on the network can see the same transaction history as everyone else. This is neat, because it means no central authority (e.g. a bank or a lawyer) is needed to validate transactions or contracts. It makes blockchain ideal for use cases where peers are exchanging goods, services, or funds.
(CEO and Co-Founder of Neufund)
(Blockchain Product Architect at Neufund)
The workshop will encompass 3 major themes
- Concept: Understanding the idea and principles of blockchain and decentralized smart contracts
- Applications: Understanding how current blockchain-based models work
- Future Models: Developing models for the social sector based on blockchain technology
- Developers interested in the tech/principles behind blockchain
- Product People who want to understand the possibilities & limitations of blockchain in building new kinds of products
- Inquisitive Minds, curious to understand blockchain in a deeper level and how this blockchain future might look
- Social Organizations who want to explore benefits for their causes
By the end of this workshop you will have:
- A better understand of how blockchain works and why some consider it the technology of the future
- A better understand of cryptocurrencies & cryptoassets like bitcoin and ether. How they function, how they are evolving and how you can acquire them
- Insights on the kind of startups that are currently emerging in the blockchain scene and the novel ways in which they get funded (ICOs)
- Become familiar with blockchain concepts like the ethereum foundation, smart contracts, distributed ledger, ICOs, token systems, DAOs etc
- Setup a digital wallet and acquired some bitcoin & ether
- Developed new and innovative models for the social sector based on the blockchain technology
Skill level: Beginner – Intermediate
What skills are required:
- Tech-savvy attitude and openness to learn about latest technologies is valuable
- No specific coding skills are required